Saturday, January 22, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes

Whenever I see "blueberries" in a recipe, my eyes are drawn towards it to see the other ingredients. I have found some spectacular recipes out there such as: Lemon-Blueberry Bread and Blueberry Cobblers and who can live without Blueberry Muffins. So when I found one for Blueberry pancakes, I thought, "Why not?"

I'm not a huge fan of pancakes because I find myself hungry in oh about an hour and then I think that was a waste of points, but I think these might stick just a little bit longer.

This one comes to us by a great line of books called "Eat This Not That". Actually, the recipe is in "Cook This Not That" but you can find more about them here.

Ingredients:- I altered for 2 servings (7 points plus). Feel free to adjust up if you are cooking for more.
1 cup frozen blueberries (I'm sure you could use fresh as well)
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta
1 egg
1/8 cup egg beaters
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (you can use white flour you just won't have as much fiber)
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt

*Mix the blueberries, water and sugar in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 10 mins or until the blueberries begin to break apart. Whisk together the yogurt, ricotta cheese, eggs and lemon juice in a bowl.
*Add the flour, baking soda and salt to the yogurt mixture and stir just until blended. (This will not be the consistency of the pancake batter you are used to. MUCH thicker)
*Heat a large skillet and coat with cooking spray. Add batter in large spoonfuls. Flip the pancakes when the tops begin to bubble, 3-5 mins and cook the other side until browned. Serve with the warm blueberries.
*I made 4 large pancakes

You will notice there is no syrup in these instructions. I actually agree with that. Believe me, I tried it for you and don't add it. Takes away from the taste of the blueberry sauce.

If you think your sauce is a little too runny, use a few Tbls of the blueberry juice and mix with some cornstarch and then add back to the sauce, should thicken up.

No comments:

Post a Comment