Thursday, January 20, 2011

White Bean Chili

When I first found this recipe in a magazine, I thought there would definitely be possibilities with this warm and fiber packed soup. But when I put it to the test I was more than pleased with the results. I altered it from the original one I found and this is what I came up with….enjoy!

Ingredients: makes three large servings

1 can great northern white beans
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
½ cup chicken broth
2 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp chili powder
2/3 cup frozen or fresh corn (I used frozen)
2 cups cooked chicken, diced (about 9 oz)
Monterey jack cheese- 1/3 cup is 1 serving

Directions:
Combine all ingredients except corn, chicken and cheese in a large pot. Cover and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are soft; stir in corn and chicken, and simmer uncovered for another 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

From this point, you can either add the cheese to the pot or divide into single servings and let the individuals add their own cheese.

I divided mine into single servings and then added 1/3 cup cheese to each. Total points plus with cheese is 9. Soup alone is 6 points plus.

1 comment:

  1. Geez, Emma, I want to make every one of these! And I will starting next week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete