Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Honey Bun Cake

Today I celebrate my birthday as well as being with Weight Watchers for six years!! No, it did not take me six years to lose my weight; but I still go to meetings on a regular basis, track what I eat and follow the Weight Watchers plan. Someone cannot be on a “diet” for six years….Weight Watchers is truly a way of life and I feel like I am living proof of that every day.

So…in celebration of two milestones in my life…I decided to make myself a cake! Of course I made alterations from the original recipe but I have been waiting for a special occasion to make this cake and it turned out GREAT!

Source: AllRecipes Cookbook
Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix
¾ cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbl ground cinnamon
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup milk
1 Tbl vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 325
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs and sour cream. Stir by hand approximately 50 strokes or until most large lumps are gone. Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the batter in the cake pan. Spoon the other half of the batter into the cake pan, covering the brown sugar and cinnamon. Swirl the cake with a knife until it looks like a honey bun.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting on cake while it’s still warm. Serve warm.

Substitutions:
Applesauce for oil
Fat free sour cream for regular
Egg beaters for eggs
I also found that 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar with 2 tsp vanilla and 1/8 cup milk was sufficient for the icing

Happy whatever you may be celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment