Sunday, October 24, 2010

SLOW COOKER SUNDAY: Pumpkin Oatmeal

When my Weight Watchers leader asked me if I had ever heard of oatmeal and pumpkin in the crockpot I was really intrigued. I'm always up for new recipes and I know the two together have invlauable positives when it comes to nutritional value. So I hit internet in search of a new recipe and found one at a cute little blog named Laaloosh.

It's different to say the least and definatley has potential but needed a little more sugar and spice when served up for breakfast this sunday morning.

Ingredients: serves 8, 1 cup each for 3 points
1- 15oz can of pumpkin or 3 cups of fresh pumpkin (peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes)
5 cups water
1 1/2 cups steel-cut oats
1/4 cup honey
1 T brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt

Combine everything in a crock pot, cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Stir well before serving.

Notes: I used fresh pumpkin this time...next time I will definitely skip that hassle and just use the canned stuff. Steel cut oats are a must in this recipe. They are not rolled like your normal every day oat and benefit from the long and slow cooking. My husband and I found we needed to add a little more salt, brown sugar and cinnamon to the final product. Defiantly a powerhouse meal when it comes to sustainability and fiber count for the day! This will stick to your ribs and keep you full until lunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment