Monday, July 12, 2010

"Foil Packs"


Turkey Foil Packs...a staple at our house

Ingredients: for one pack

1/4 lb turkey

1/2 chunked onion

1 cup chunked butternut squash

mushrooms

Directions: place the ground turkey patty on the foil. Top with squash, onions, mushrooms and sprinkle with seasoned salt. Fold in three of the four sides and add 2 Tbl of water. Close in fourth side and put on med heat grill for 20-25 min.

Feel free to make this your own with different veggies. I had some yellow squash from the farmer's market and added it to the pack above. My brother in law loves sliced potatoes in his. If you use potato or rice, add more water.

The great debate of ground turkey vs. ground beef. We always use 93/7 ground turkey and have never used ground beef in the foil packs. We just like the taste but it is also MUCH cheaper than ground beef. While I was at Wal-Mart today....I took a look at the beef so I could inform you of the real difference. Here's how the two sized up against each other:

93/7 beef- 170 cals, 8 g fat, $3.18 per lb., 4 points if you counting

93/7 turkey- 160 cals, 8 g fat, $2.12 per lb., again...4 points

new find I had never seen....96/4 beef- 130 cals, 4 g fat, $3.78 per lb., 3 points

I'm interested to see this new beef in cooking action so I might give it a try next time we are having burgers. But if you have never tried ground turkey, give it a shot....you never know, you may like it.

Butternut Squash: My good friend Lindsey introduced me to this wonderful vegetable and I cook with it all year long. Technically, it's a winter squash so it carries 1 pt per cup but you can find it year round. They are a little tough to handle. I suggest using a vegetable peeler to peel the skin. Then use a large sharp knife to cut the squash into circles...from there, cut it into chunks. There are seeds at the very end much like a pumpkin seed. Just use a spoon to scrape them out. Again, if you've never had it...give it a shot!


Remember...."not a crumb left" on my table

No comments:

Post a Comment