Thursday, April 28, 2011

Steamed Artichoke




This evening, at my weight watchers meeting, it was all about trying new vegetables or preparing your favorites in a different way. My all time favorite vegetable has to be the Artichoke. I've been eating them since I was a little girl and still indulge in this sometime overwhelming food.

Artichokes are rich in fiber, iron, vitamin B6, vitamin C and a whole host of other great "stuff". Not to forget extremely low in calories and virtually fat free.

My favorite way to prepare them is simply steaming them. I like to cut the top off and steam in salted water for about 20 minutes. When you can pull the leaves apart, the artichoke is ready! Some people like to dip the leaves in some garlic butter but it is also very tasty plain.

Watch this you tube video for pointers on how to eat them and avoid the "choke".

No comments:

Post a Comment